Thursday, September 6, 2012

Civics and Economics

 In this post I will blog about what's going on in my Civics and Economics class. So far I like Civics this year. I think it is easy for the most part, and fun to learn. I think it's a good thing that we are learning more about the history of our country. I also think it's important to know things that are taught in this class, like; our rights, the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Amendments, and other things that all Americans should know.

Right now we are focusing on the Constitution mainly. We are learning about the thirteen colonies also and about how they broke away from Britain. Another thing we're working on is learning how America was established and how they figured out how the government was going to work and different laws and rights that should be granted to U.S citizens.

Just last week we were assigned a project. What we had to do is make a poster of a colony that Mrs.Hibberts gave out to us. On the poster we had to come up with a sentence for each letter of the colony we were given, but the letter in the colony had to be the first letter in the sentence. The colony I had was New York. I didn't really have a hard time with it. The only letter I really had trouble with was the Y, but I came up with something eventually.

While working on this project I learned a lot about colonial New York. I learned that New York was a nice farming area. Some crops that they grew were; beans, corn, pumpkins, squash, and many other things. Another thing I learned is that New York was owned by a man called the Duke of York. I also learned that New York was originally a Dutch colony of New Netherlands. One last thing I learned is that New York was a middle colony.

Constitution: http://shass.mit.edu/research/u.s.-constitution
Colonial Flag: http://thecripplegate.com/category/history/



2 comments:

  1. Including your actual New York acrostic poem would have been a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice idea! Wish I would of thought of that while working on this post.

    ReplyDelete